Blog #1
There are multiple influences that teachers and students have when it comes to why technology should be used in the classroom. For starters, teachers are able to use more online based software's to substitute those awful tasks that usually took up so much time writing or typing up. Using electronic attendance reports as well as interactive gaming makes a teachers job not only easier, but a little more entertaining for the children. Also, many children find that using a computer can be more engaging than listening to the teacher talk the whole time. The students usually find the websites fun and rewarding. Not every child has the same learning ability so using technology can be a way to make things easier for both the instructor and student.
What it means to be a digital native is being born or raised in the age of digital technology and being able to access the internet and/or devices like smart-phones and tablets. I would have to say that I would agree with the term "digital native" for today's youth. Most children who were born after the year 2000 know nothing but technology. Being born into that era isn't there fault, but becoming depended on it is. I feel as if teachers are too reliant on technology these days. It's good in the sense that teaching has become a lot easier, but the attention spans have become almost extinct. I think there needs to be a fine line between how much "digital experiences" a child should have in one day. The differences I anticipate for future students is that they will have no idea what a textbook is. Or they'll have no idea what recess is. That is just my thought. No child is going to want to open a book or get out of their desks if a computer is in front of them and they can have just as much fun staying inside. I feel future teachers need to moderate the technology use. Keeping a happy medium is always a good thing. Remember, children are indeed our future.
The standards that are put into place are a great
idea. Students that become empowered learners are much more prepared and ready
for the future, as opposed to those who are not. One standard that is
meaningful to me is the Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity standard.
I am all about improving my practices by learning and exploring with others and
getting ideas from all walks of life. Anything that I can take in to not only
better myself but the children is my goal. Now, on the other hand, a standard
that I am not very fond of is the Design and Develop Digital‐Age Learning Experiences and Assessments standard. I'm not very
good at designing things. I'm more of the person who can help once the ideas
are thought of, but I'm awful at coming up with ideas.
What it means to be a digital native is being born or raised in the age of digital technology and being able to access the internet and/or devices like smart-phones and tablets. I would have to say that I would agree with the term "digital native" for today's youth. Most children who were born after the year 2000 know nothing but technology. Being born into that era isn't there fault, but becoming depended on it is. I feel as if teachers are too reliant on technology these days. It's good in the sense that teaching has become a lot easier, but the attention spans have become almost extinct. I think there needs to be a fine line between how much "digital experiences" a child should have in one day. The differences I anticipate for future students is that they will have no idea what a textbook is. Or they'll have no idea what recess is. That is just my thought. No child is going to want to open a book or get out of their desks if a computer is in front of them and they can have just as much fun staying inside. I feel future teachers need to moderate the technology use. Keeping a happy medium is always a good thing. Remember, children are indeed our future.
I agree with your thoughts about the idea of having too much technology for students. They have enough technology as it is, they use it every day at home, so should we continue to keep them in front of a computer all day at school too? I believe that there should be some technology in the classroom but it is not necessary for every classroom to be completely technology based. There is a need for technology but there is also a need for other types of interactions in the classroom as well, such as the teacher teaching and not solely relaying on technology.
ReplyDeleteI agree with having to much technology for students. I personally agree that we need to remember the teacher is there for a reason!
ReplyDeleteHi, Cliff! I enjoyed reading your blog and I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to the standard of designing engaging and creative activities, though I do think this is an important skill to develop as a teacher. I agree with your stance on the "digital natives" and the opinion that perhaps children these days may be over exposed to certain kinds of technology. The only part of your post I questioned was your statement that it is a child's fault for becoming dependent on technology. I think that it is much to the fault of the society in which we live and the way those children observe how other people interact with technology. But I do think it is a teacher's responsibility to remind his or her students to unplug every once in a while.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your point about technology in the classroom making it easier on teachers and more entertaining for students. One of my favorite professors would have a silly question on the screen every class and the students would have to respond in order to earn attendance points -- definitely made class more fun for everyone.
ReplyDeleteTechnology is very useful in the sense of making teaching and learning easier for both teacher and student. It serves as a way to facilitate the learning process and adds more of a dynamic to the class then a simple lecture-take notes style class. Technology can help keep the students more engaged in the content. But I also agree that there needs to be a line between how much technology is being used in the classroom. Children need to have other experiences other than just working with technology.
ReplyDelete